SEM 101: Search Engine Result Page (SERP)
Saying that you can find just about anything on the Internet may be a bit of cliché, but it nevertheless is the truth. Whether you want to know more about your favorite basketball player or the current foreign exchange rate, you can rest assured that the Internet will always have the answers that you are looking for. That is, if you type in the right keywords in search engines, because that is exactly how things are done online these days. Enter those keywords in search engines like Google, and a SERP containing pages that will match those search words you used will pop up.
What is a SERP?
That web page that pops up after entering your search is called a Search Engine Result Page or SERP. For regular Internet users, SERPs may not mean much other than a way to find what they need to find. For webmasters, bloggers, search engine optimizers (SEOs) and Internet marketers, however, SERPs are a vital part of their efforts to find online success. It is, in fact, the top medium for success on the web.
Why SERPs Are Important For Online Success
On the surface, a SERP is just a list of pages or links. Most bloggers and Internet marketers, however, are aware that ranking their sites within SERPs for specific keywords are important because the success of any SEO or SEM campaign depends on it. Consider this:
- Sites that land on the first page of SERPs get a lot of visibility
- Studies have shown that searchers always choose to click results that are on the first page of any SERP
- The number one ranked page on any given SERP tends to get a much bigger number of clicks compared to all other results
- More clicks means higher traffic, which in turn can pave the way for the success of your campaign
- More online success means more revenue for your business
Landing Your Page at the Top of the SERPs
Naturally, anyone working for online success would always aim to land on the first page, if not the top of the first page, of a SERP. So how do you go about doing it? Here are some of the many things you can do to increase your site’s search ranking.
- Post unique, relevant and quality articles
- Perform keyword research to come up with the best and catchiest keywords for your campaign
- Submit your site to as many web directories as you can
- Promote your website using Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites
- Build your links slowly
- Use images to attract traffic
- Post comments to blogs and websites
- Participate in forums that are of high PR
- Exchange links with websites in the same niche
In the continuously evolving world of SEO and SEM, the tips enumerated above are basically just, well, the tip of the iceberg. Also, it is important to bear in mind that building up your search ranking takes some time and effort. Even when you finally land on the top page of the SERPs, you still have to work to maintain your ranking because you do have competition, and they will do anything to grab the top spot from you.